Saturday, April 10, 2010

What makes you different?

I heard the saying: What makes you different may also be your greatest strength.

It made me realize how nice it is that we are all different. What a boring world this would be if we didn't each have our own strengths, weaknesses and idiosyncracies.

As a reader, I'm so glad that each author is different. Each creates a story in their own unique way. The stories they weave are different from others, the characters they create are unique based on the author's background, beliefs, and knowledge. The settings they describe takes us to worlds we've never known. Thank heavens every place is different.

As an author, I find myself bringing in my own background into my stories. I was raised around Morgan horses and so many of mystories will have horses, ranches, and cowboys in them. I have a yellow lab and he is a loving part of our family and you'll also see that many of my stories will have a dog who adds a new dimension to my characters. I enjoy spending time in the outdoors, enjoying the mountain in northern Utah so you'll see many of my stories are set in or around the mountains.

Even if you are different, don't let it bother you. In fact, enjoy your uniqueness -- celebrate your differences. That's what makes you - you. It also keeps the world a fun, interesting place to be.

1 comment:

thecraftjunkieblog said...

Oh, that's such a nice post. I just did something similiar on my blog, about my differences and my husband's. www.thecraftjunkieblog.com

thanks for the email. congrats on your newest contract! Can't wait to read it.
Hugs
Monica